A couple of key points:
- The world is rich and complex with many causes and effects
- Truth is a personal experience not universal
- Knowledge does not have a subject-object relationship
- Understanding and interpreting are essentially the same thing
- Interpretation is a task
- Language is the medium of all understanding
- Language is not a tool but an activity between the speaker and the listener in order to play with understanding
- Knowledge lives in the learner
- Verification comes from dialogue not repetition
- Dialogue leads to a shared understanding of personal experiences
Understanding comes by being in the world together. By creating forums in which people can join one another as co-participants to shape something new. It requires a connection in culture through language.
My experience with teachers is that they have such busy lives. If we are not careful we will reduce teaching to the 101 things I have to do every day to please all the people I really don’t like so much kind of job. Teachers do not need someone from outside telling them they have to change their practice, yet I do see a need for change. One day they may be trusted enough to be asked what they think and involve them in the process of change.